mini_banner

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Getting The Modem To Work In Hardy

If you upgraded your install from Gutsy Gibbon to Hardy Heron, your modem may not work. You need to install the new hsfmodem deb. If you have the older version of the Conexant Modem driver, please uninstall it before installing the new one.

You can find the driver here. This is only for the 32bit version of Ubuntu, the one I use and recommend. 64 bit users will need to go here. There is no deb for the 64bit driver so installation can be a bit of a chore.

After installing the modem driver, you might get a pop-up window telling you that the Volume Control has quit unexpectedly and asks you to reload (or not reload) the panel. Click on Reload. Afterwards, the sound icon on the top right corner of the screen changes to "mute", but sound should be fine. A logout/login or GDM restart should have solved the issue. This issue happens because the modem driver lays down its own set of sound codecs and unloads the snd-hda-intel module during the installation process. But it doesn't, when I tried to modprobe snd-hda-intel I received an error. If you check the comments Mmandx has found a workaround. You can download an version of the alsa-driver package (from the ALSA project) with improved support for the HSF driver here.

Screenshot-Error
edited by pHreaksYcle

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I followed the above instructions, but have no sound any longer. A restart didn't solve the problem.

What should I try next?

redDEAD said...

stumblng.tumblr

I found this out the hard way too, you have to either completely uninstall the Conexant Modem deb

or

Reload the snd-hda-intel module, Problem is I don't know how, when I figure it out I'll post the fix.

Mandx said...

http://www.linuxant.com/alsa-driver/

Here you can get the alsa-driver provided by linuxant, I have got the same problem, sound did not work anymore. I have installed this and repeated the modem installation process, and then it worked fine.

Nathaniel said...

Woot. Nice to hear that this is working. I would upgrade from 7.10 if I wasn't on dial-up. But, it works well right now, and I don't think I need to upgrade yet. Thanks, though!

Unknown said...

I tried to follow mmandx's suggestion, but that package wouldn't install for me. I got the message "no device detected by hsf driver - HDA modems may require reboot". I am now in very far over my head. Is there a way for me to overcome this problem?

Unknown said...

May I just add that I removed the hsfmodem package and the alsa-driver-linuxant packages? (It seems that the latter did in fact install, but could not complete its configuration.) After I did that, sound automatically returned to normal, but, of course, I don't have dial-up as a backup, which has been helpful to me in the past and which I'd like again.

Mandx said...

I don't remember how I installed it (I have installed hardy since it came up without having to reinstall) but I think that alsa-driver comes first and then hsfmodem. Keep trying.

Greetz

Brad said...

Yeah, this has pretty much hosed up the sound. Not good at all! Installing the alsa alternative driver has it sitting on building kernel modules. This item should get removed, as it really screws something up.

Unknown said...

I haven't been able to solve this problem yet. I'm posting a link to this document just because it might give someone more knowledgeable than me a hint: http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Ubuntu_8.04/Issues/No_Sound_After_Distribution_Or_Kernel_Upgrade

Mandx said...

stumblng.tumblr

Try the instructions in the link that you post, but, before install the hsf's .deb, install the alsa-driver from linuxant

Hope it work

Grissino said...

Thank you for your Blog!! Now my 1501 have Ubuntu installed!
:-)

1 Question: I have a installed Ubuntu server with Gnome but it comes with full package :-( Could you please make a post how to configure the 1501 with X and Gnome "lite"? Thanks!!!!